18 Sep [Plane]made Mayonnaise
In “Food and Cooking by Harold McGee. McGee taught that a yolk can absorb an almost infinite amount of fat as long as you maintain the right amount of moisture.
- 1 Egg yolk
- Canola Oil or a neutral flavored plant based oil
- A dash of mustard
- Lemon Juice
- White Wine Vinegar
- Start with one egg yolk and a dash of mustard and begin to whisk together. This adds flavor and helps the emulsification process begin
- As you whisk in an figure 8 method, continuously add your oil slow enough that your mayonnaise does not break and separate
- The egg yolk will begin to emulsify with the oil as you whisk.
- Stop adding oil when the mayo is holding peaks and you have the desired amount
- Add lemon juice, vinegar, and salt to flavor to your preferred palette
- Keep refrigerated
Looking for the perfect galley sized whisk? I keep this one on the plane!