05 Jan The Secret Sandwich (Porchetta gon’ wild)
I occasionally get asked why I call this my “Secret Sandwich” and the truth is the name came to be ask a cheeky response to the wide-eye, first bite of my brother-in-law when he asked;
“What’s in this?!”
This sandwich is the ultimate. It has fat, acid, a bit of bitter balance all tamed with a pinch of sweetness. It’s a sensation of flavor and it is brilliantly easy to prepare.
I will make this for clients who simply want a casual lunch with a side of crisps or even for my pilots in the flight deck. My own father even regards this as the best sandwich he has ever had.
*~* WELL MY GOD JAMIE THAT’S ENOUGH, NOW GET TO IT, TELL THE PEOPLE HOW TO MAKE IT *~*
- 2 slices of Porchetta ~ easily found at Whole Foods with the deli meats sections
- 2 slices of Havarti Cheese (sliced)
- 2 pieces Sourdough Bread
- A handful of Baby Arugula
- A spread of Whole Grain Mustard
- A spread of Mayonnaise
- 1 Yellow Squash
- 1 cup of Vinegar (Any basic vinegar is game — white vinegar, apple cider, white wine, and rice vinegar all work well)
- 1/4 cup of Sugar
- To begin, thinly slice your yellow squash on the thinnest setting with your handheld mandolin (Flightess toolbox MUST HAVE), half a squash should be plenty, set aside in a mug or bowl
- Next, microwave your vinegar and your sugar together until boiling and sugar is dissolved ~approx. 60-90 seconds inflight then pour it over your thinly sliced yellow squash and set aside in your chiller to cool down for 10 minutes. Because the sliced squash is so thin, it will pickle extremely fast. When done, set slices on a paper towel to drain.
- Toast your sourdough slices as this will be an important textural element and provide structure to hold the yummy goodness of your secret sandwich
- Smear whole grain mustard on one side and mayonnaise on the other slice of the toasted sourdough bread
- Layer your sliced Porchetta followed by your Havarti cheese (cut into triangles) followed by one single layer of pickled squash so it almost looks like fish scales, followed by washed baby arugula
- Boom, enjoy flavor city Flightess Fam.