DISCLAIMER: There’s totally a trend of CFA’s cooking onboard now and this recipe is perfect for that however I adamantly must stress to make sure you are an expert on food safety before you start bringing ANY raw food onboard. Otherwise it’s a huge liability, be mindful of transporting, personal hygiene, storage, and food danger temperatures.
That being said, what I love about this recipe is it’s minimal cook time due to steaming in a microwave bag (therefore perfect to cook and serve fresh onboard) and its minimal ingredients which is great for small galley spaces!
- 1 Roma Plum tomato (concasse)
- 1/4 an inch of Ginger Root (minced)
- Green Onions (2 stems)
- 8oz of Salmon (skin removed)
- Soy Sauce
- Squeeze of lime
- Spinach ( remove stems for more refined aesthetic)
Concasse, from the French concasser, “to crush or grind”, is a cooking term meaning to rough chop any ingredient, usually vegetables. This term is particularly applied to tomatoes, where tomato concasse is a tomato that has been peeled, seeded (seeds and skins removed), and chopped to specified dimensions.
- TOMATO CONCASSE: Cut a small “X” incision on the bottom of your Roma Tomato, place in a soft boiling put of water and wait 30 seconds to 1 minute until skin starts to peel away, place in ice bath immediately. [on the plane, fill a bowl/pyrex with boiling water from kettle and drop tomatoes in, it will take longer but have the same effect] Once cool, remove top of tomato, cut into quarters, and cut away inner seeds and soft tomato meat. This should only leave the bulk outer meat of the tomato to be chopped.
- Mix your tomato concasse with the minced ginger and chopped green scallion
- Place on top of salmon and drizzle with soy sauce- be generous!
- Place salmon in microwave steam bag and cook in the microwave for 2-3 minutes depending on microwave strength
- Add spinach to a separate microwave steam bag, add a bit of oil and options aromatics and cook in microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute depending on microwave strength
- PLATE UP: Drain spinach on paper towel and make a spoon onto center of plate creating a flat surface for salmon to rest, place small portion of salmon filet on top with juices from steam bag, drizzle lime juice on top, and garnish with fine diagonally sliced scallions
*I use affiliate links – when you purchase a product through flightess.com I get a small commission – it does not affect how much an item costs or impact your purchase*