It’s time to dive right back into our regularly scheduled recipe sharing. These are crazy times in the world and without everyone having the luxury to casually run to the grocery store or bakery to pick up a dessert for passengers, its nice to know this easy 4 ingredient dessert can be easily whipped together from standard pantry and fridge stock.
Ingredients[This recipe is for one portion]
- 2 egg whites
- approximately ~ 1/4 cup of dark chocolate >60% cacao
- 1 1/2 Tbsp of sugar
- a small squeeze of lemon juice
In culinary school, we weren’t allowed to use machines/ kitchen tools for anything! No hand mixers, KitchenAids, nothing!
Everything had to be done by hand which was actually extraordinarily useful for preparing me to work on the plane as you don’t have access to those tools in the galley anyways!
- Separate your egg whites and egg yolks and ensure no shells or egg yolk has crept into your gorgeous egg whites ( otherwise your whites won’t whip together properly)
- Melt your chocolate in the microwave in 5 second intervals or over a makeshift double boiler. Although it’s a creative double boiler pictured below, I do think it works better than a microwave in melting chocolate without burning or cooking it
- Here comes the hands on part guys, you need to whip those egg whites. Add your lemon juice as it will help stabilize the egg whites and start whisking. The idea is that you want to get as much air as possible into those eggs so try using a “pushing” method of whisking to ensure you aren’t crushing the air you are getting in.
- Once you have stiff peaks with your egg whites, gently fold in the melted chocolate until both ingredients have cohesively combine, be careful at this point while folding in your melted chocolate not to crush the air out of the eggs whites that you just took so much time to whip!
- Place mousse in a ziploc or piping bag to make it easier to pipe into individual glasses or ramekins and leave to chill for at least two hours ( aka do this in your prep time before the flight!)
- Garnish with berries and serve!